This article is about the year 1729 AD. For the number, see One thousand seven hundred and twenty nine.
Centuries: 17th century - 18th century - 19th century
- July 30 - Baltimore, Maryland is founded.
- First printing press was established in Ottoman Empire (app. 300 years after it was first used in western civilization) by Ibrahim Muteferrika.
- January 12 - Edmund Burke, statesman, philosopher
- January 22 - Gotthold Ephraim Lessing, author and philosopher (+ 1781)
- May 2 - Catherine the Great of Russia