Centuries: 3rd century - 4th century - 5th century
- In response to the murder of his general Butheric, Theodosius I orders a massacre of the inhabitants of Thessalonica. Appalled by the brutality of this action, St. Ambrosius excommunicates him.
- Jerome, having finished the Latin translation of the New Testament, begins translating the Old Testament.
- Theodosius brings an obelisk from Egypt to the Hippodrome of Constantinople.
- Marcian, east Roman emperor (approximate date)
- Bleda, king of the Huns
- Prosper of Aquitaine, disciple of Augustine of Hippo