The actor Andy Serkis 'plays' Gollum, by provivding the voice and movements for the CGI character in the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy (2001-2003). He has played in over 30 other roles in movie and television productions through his career.
Random Trivia about Serkis (source ):
- His father was a doctor in Iraq.
- His mother taught handicapped children.
- He has two children, a son and a daughter.
- He was required to don a wetsuit and flail around in literally freezing water during reshoots for The Two Towers.
- He went to St Benedict's School, London, UK.
- Because his character in The Two Towers was computer-generated, he was ruled ineligible for a Best Supporting Actor award at the 2003 Academy Awards. He does however make an appearance in person, as Sméagol before he becomes Gollum, in The Return of the King, and is therefore eligible for the 2004 award.
- He owns the prop One Ring used in The Two Towers, given to him by director Peter Jackson, so in a sense Gollum has finally acquired his "precious".