Anaesthesia (BE) or Anesthesia (AE) is the prevention of consciousness or sensation, usually by means of chemicals known as anaesthetics (or anesthetics in the U.S.). On March 30, 1842 in Jefferson, Georgia, Dr. Crawford Williamson Long was the first to use anaesthesia during an operation; ether was given to his wife during childbirth.
Anaesthesia can be divided into
- History of Anaesthesia society
- A medical student's guide to anaesthesia from a patient's perspective
- Gasnet, a comprehensive online resource on anaesthesiology
- American Society of Anaesthesiologists
- Patient's guides and more anaesthesia-related information\n