Bonaventure Cemetery, in Savannah, Georgia, is located on the site of a plantation originally owned by John Mullryne, whose daughter Mary married Josias Tatnall, Sr. The wife of Tatnall's son Harriet Fenwick Tattnall was buried on the plantation in 1802. The Plantation was converted to a cemetery in 1868, and was originally called Evergreen Cemetery; its name was changed to Bonaventure Cemetery in 1907.
The cemetery became famous when it featured in the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt, and the movie, directed by Clint Eastwood, based on it. The cover photograph, taken by Jack Leigh, featured an evocative sculpture of a young girl which had been in the cemetery, essentially unnoticed, for over 50 years, which has come to be known as the "Bird Girl". This copy had been placed on the family plot of Lucy Boyd Trosdal: after the publication of the book it was donated to the "Telfair Museum of Art" to avoid the disturbances that tourists wanting to see it at the cemetery were causing.
There are two burial sections:
Old Bonaventure Cemetery
New Bonaventure Cemetery