In computer science and telecommunications, calling is:
- Any attempt to set up a communications circuit.
- A unit of traffic measurement.
- The actions performed by a call originator.
- The operations required to establish, maintain, and release a connection.
- To use a connection between two stations.
- The action of bringing a computer program, subroutine, or variable into effect; usually by specifying the entry conditions and the entry point. In programming languages (such as C and C++) before subroutines and variables can be called, they must be declared.