Computer Vision is a subfield of Artificial intelligence. The purpose of computer vision is to program a computer to "understand" a scene or features in an image.
Typical goals of computer vision include:
- The detection, segmentation, location, and recognition of certain objects in images (e.g., human faces)
- Registration of different views of the same scene or object
- Tracking an object through an image sequence
- Mapping a scene to a three-dimensional model of the scene; such a model might be used by a robot to navigate the imaged scene
- Estimation of the three-dimensional poses of humans and their limbs