East Texas Baptist University is a private Christian university associated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas since 1912. The liberal arts university is located on the north side of Marshall, Texas.
Situated on the highest point in Harrison County, on the former site of the Van Zandt Plantation, ETBU was founded as the College of Marshall in 1912 after a campaign to create a Baptist college in East Texas. ETBU opened in 1917 as a two year junior college and academy. The college has undergone several incarnations as; the College of Marshall (1912-1944), East Texas Baptist College (1944-1984), and East Texas Baptist University (1984-present)
ETBU is an accredited member of, the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of colleges and Schools, the National Association of Schools of Music, and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing.