Grand Slam is a general sports term applied when achieving something special.
Most common uses:
- In tennis, winning the Grand Slam is winning the following four tournaments in the same year: Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, US Open. Those tournaments are therefore also known as the Grand Slam tournaments.
- In rugby, the beating of all opponents during the Six Nations Tournament (previously Five Nations Tournament).
- In golf, winning the following four tournaments in the same year: The Masters, British Open, US Open, PGA Championship.
- In baseball, a Grand Slam home run is a home run with all the bases occupied.
- In bridge, it is bidding for and winning all the tricks in one hand.