This list of ethics topics puts articles relevant to well-known ethical (right and wrong, good and bad) debates and decisions in one place - including practical problems long known in philosophy, and the more abstract subjects in law, politics, and some professions and sciences. It lists also those core concepts essential to understanding ethics as applied in various religions, some movements derived from religions, and religions discussed as if they were a theory of ethics making no special claim to divine status.
The list also includes articles on non-ethics topics or fictional works or part of works that include a substantial ethical debate; These are fairly obviously distinguished from ethical concepts by name alone. Inclusion or exclusion of an article is obviously an ethical issue in itself, as different people regard different issues as 'substantial', and different ethical works as influential.
Some simple guidelines to keep this list manageable
- Where a separate article exists regarding only the ethical debate, e.g. medicine, engineering link only to that article, not to the main article.
- Only very basic and influential abstractions from analytic philosophy or game theory, e.g. Prisoner's dilemma, Tit For Tat are included
- Nothing dealing strictly with belief, e.g. propaganda - this has no direct impact on a living body and it does not imply or directly suggest an action by any body
- Anything applicable only to one religion or only of historical interest belongs on the list of religious topics
- Metaphysics and epistemology are covered in the list of philosophical topics instead.
- Political and diplomatic concepts should not be included unless they constitute a profound ethical problem, e.g. choices like the prevention of genocide by violating national sovereignty.
- Business ethics is considered a separate topic - include only those issues large enough to affect the general society and planet
- Legal ethics is a separate topic as well
- Medical ethics is also a separate topic - include only those issues that seem to transcend the doctor-patient relationship
- Concepts specific to economics should be added to the list of economics articles and
- Concepts specific to Islam should be added to the list of Islamic terms in Arabic instead
- names belong on the list of ethicists or the list of philosophers