As of October of 2002, there are around 100,000 Usenet newsgroups, of which approximately a fifth are active. This number varies, depending on the news server carrying the newsgroups.
It would be impossible for Wikipedia to list each and every newsgroup. However, several newsgroups are notable and popular, and some have had a considerable history.
Newsgroups of interests include:
- alt.binaries.slack - artwork created by and for the Church of the SubGenius.
- alt.config - creation of new newsgroups in the alt.* hierarchy'
- alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island - Aglami, core of insanity
- alt.religion.kibology - He who Greps.
- alt.religion.scientology - discussion of the controversial subject of Scientology.
- alt.revisionism - discussion of Holocaust revisionism.
- alt.sex.stories - text-based erotic stories of all types.
- alt.sexual.abuse.recovery and alt.sexual.abuse.recovery.moderated
- alt.suicide.holiday - pro-choice discussion of suicide.
- alt.sysadmin.recovery - the Scary Devil Monastery.
- alt.talk.creationism - discussion of the pros and cons of creationism.
- alt.zines - discussion of small-press publications, magazines, and pamphlets.
- news.admin.net-abuse.email - discussion of abuse of email by spammers and other parties.
- rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc - discussion of the TV series Mystery Science Theater 3000.
- soc.support.youth.gay-lesbian-bi - support group for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered teenagers and youths.
- Google Groups contains a complete browsable list of groups at http://groups.google.com/groups?group=*