is the name given to the application of information technology
. It is the:
- "understanding, skills and tools that enable the sharing and use of information to deliver healthcare and promote health" (British Medical Informatics Society).
Medical informatics is sometimes called health informatics
. This later-generation term reflects the substantive contribution of the citizen and of non-medical professions to the generation and usage of healthcare data.
Aspects of the field
- architectures for electronic healthcare records
- messages for the exchange of information
- decision support systems in healthcare
- terminology systems and domain termlists
- and more mainstream systems and services as they apply particularly in the healthcare domain (such as any security implications unique to the protection of medical data)