Theophylline is a drug, a PDE inhibitor, that is widely used in pharmacotherapy.
Theophylline is also known as 3,7-dihydro-1,3-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione or 1,3-dimethylxanthine and the chemical formula is C7H8N4O2. It has molecular weight of 180.16. It is naturally found in tea.
The main actions of theophylline are :
- relaxation of bronchial smooth muscle
- positive inotropic effect
- positive chronotropic effect
- lowers blood pressure
- increases renal blood flow
- some anti-inflammatory effect