Centuries: 14th century - 15th century - 16th century
Decades: 1410s 1420s 1430s 1440s 1450s - 1460s - 1470s 1480s 1490s 1500s 1510s
Years: 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 - 1461 - 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466
- February 2 - Battle of Mortimer's Cross - Yorkist troops led by Edward, Duke of York defeat Lancastrians under Jasper Tudor, Earl of Pembroke in Wales.
- February 17 - 2nd Battle of St. Albans - The Earl of Warwick's army is defeated by a Lancastrian force under Queen Margaret, who recovers control of her husband.
- March 4 - The Duke of York seizes London and proclaims himself King Edward IV of England
- March 29 - Battle of Towton - Edward IV defeats Queen Margaret to make good his claim to the English throne. Thought to be the bloodiest battle ever fought in England.
- Edward, Richard of York's son, crowned as Edward IV, King of England (reigns until 1483)
- August 15 - Trebizond, the capital of the last major Romano-Greek outpost falls to the Ottoman Empire after a siege of 21 days.
- Louis XI of France succeeds Charles VII of France as king (reigns until 1483)
- Leonardo da Vinci and Sandro Botticelli become students of Verrocchio
- July 22- King Charles VII of France\n