The phrases area bombing and carpet bombing refer to the use of huge numbers of unguided gravity bombs to ensure the certain destruction of a target, as a means of mass destruction, or as a means to demoralize the enemy.
Subjects to cover:
- The origins of bombing theory with Giulio Douhet
- The bombing of London in World War II, also known as the Blitz
- The attacks on London during the Battle of Britain
- Sir Arthur Harris, the bombing of Dresden and the resulting firestorm
- Strategic bombing
- The effectiveness of carpet bombing in the Vietnam War