The English Fort William Henry, on the shores of Lake George, New York, was built during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) as a staging ground for attacks against the French Fort Carillon (Ticonderoga). The Fort was commanded by Lt. Colonel George Munro.
After the French general Marquis de Montcalm staged a heavy bombardment en route to victory, the fort was set on fire and destroyed.
Contrary to popular belief, during the siege most of the soldiers of Fort William Henry were camped outside of the Fort, in the eastern end, and not inside.
A replica of Fort William Henry now stands in its place, and is a popular tourist attraction.