In medicine, hormone therapy is the use of hormones in medical treatment and covers various types of hormones including growth hormones and sex hormones.
Types of hormone therapy include:
- hormone replacement therapy
- hormone treatment of Klinefelter's syndrome
- hormone treatment of Turner syndrome
- hormone treatment in gender reassignment therapy
- treatment with growth hormone to treat growth hormone deficiency
- treatment with thyroid hormones in hypothyroidism
- replacement of calcitonin following parathyroidectomy
- replacement of testosterone in males with low levels due to disease or aging
Anti-hormone treatment with hormone antagonists is also used: for example, the use of antiandrogens to suppress androgenic hormones.
See also: chemotherapy