Königslutter am Elm is a city of 17,000 inhabitants (2003) in the district of Helmstedt, Lower Saxony, Germany, near the Elm hills.

In its current form, the city was created in 1974 by joining the following 18 municipalities:

  • Beienrode
  • Boimstorf
  • Bornum
  • Glentorf
  • Groß Steinum
  • Klein Steimke
  • Königslutter
  • Lauingen
  • Lelm
  • Ochsendorf
  • Rhode
  • Rieseberg
  • Rotenkamp
  • Rottorf
  • Scheppau
  • Schickelsheim
  • Sunstedt
  • Uhry

Königslutter proper is situated on the Lutter stream and developed from the village of Lutter (first mentioned in 1150). It received the right to hold a market around 1300, and became a city around 1400. In early modern times, beer brewing and mining and cutting of Elm limestone were the main industries.

In 1924, the village of Oberlutter and the monastery church of Königslutter were incorporated into the city. The Benedictine monastery had been founded near the village of Lutter in 1135 by Emperor Lothar of Supplinburg. The monastery church is known for its sculptural art and the tomb of the emperor.