British professional bodies The following is a list of professional bodies in the United Kingdom. Membership of a professional body does not necessarily mean that a person possesses qualifications in the subject area, nor that they are legally able to practice their profession. Many of these bodies also act as learned societies for the academic disciplines underlying their professions.

In cases where membership of or a professional qualification from a chartered professional body is necessary to practice a profession, the EU regulations require that suitably qualified people from other states in the European Union are also allowed to practice in the UK

Table of contents
1 Chartered
2 Non Chartered
3 See also
4 External links


The following professional bodies operate under Royal Charter

  • British Computer Society (BCS)
  • British Psychological Society (BPS)
  • Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
  • Chartered Institue of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS)
  • Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP)
  • Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
  • Geological Society of London
  • Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
  • Royal College of Physicians of London
  • Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
  • Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
  • Royal Statistical Society
  • IEE
  • Institute of Biology (IOB)
  • Institute of Physics (IOP)
  • Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
  • Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
  • The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
  • The Royal Meteorological Society
  • The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)

Non Chartered

  • Institute of Field Archaeologists (IFA)

See also

External links

List of professional bodies from Higher Education & Research Opportunities in the United Kingdom