Raiders of the Lost Ark
is a feature film
released in 1981
. Directed by Steven Spielberg
, it is a fantasy
adventure and the first in a series of film and TV productions about the adventures of the heroic fictional archaeologist Indiana Jones
, who was played by actor Harrison Ford
. Indy is accompanied by Marion (Karen Allen), Marcus Brody (Denholm Elliott
), and Sallah (John Rhys-Davies
The plot line of the film relates to saving the Ark of the Covenant and its supposed incredible powers from the Nazis in 1936, shortly before World War II.
Raiders of the Lost Ark is comic book-like in tone, with a glamorous heroine, over-the-top villains, and impressive stuntwork combined with moments of comedy.
In 1999 the film was deemed "culturally significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry. Newer videos of this movie are titled Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Direction: Steven Spielberg
- Cast: Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Paul Freeman, Ronald Lacey, John Rhys-Davies and Denholm Elliott
- Writing credits: George Lucas (story), Philip Kaufman (story) and Lawrence Kasdan (screenplay)
- Composer: John Williams
- Editor: Michael Kahn
- Sound effects editor: Richard L. Anderson, who included the Wilhelm scream in the film
- Producers: Howard G. Kazanjian, George Lucas, Frank Marshall, Robert Watts