Univac began as the "business" computer division of Remington Rand formed by the purchase of the Eckert-Mauchly Computer Corporation in 1950.
Univac® Sperry Rand label
In 1953 or 1954 Remington Rand merged their tabulating machine division in Norwalk, Connecticut, the Engineering Research Associates "scientific" computer division, and the Univac "business" computer division into a single division under the Univac name.
In 1978 Sperry Rand decided to concentrate on its computing interests and unrelated divisions were sold. The company dropped the Rand from its title and reverted back to Sperry Corporation.