|pop. density:||147 inh./km²|
Waldshut is a district (Kreis) in the south of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Neighboring districts are (from west clockwise) Lörrach, Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald and Schwarzwald-Baar. To the south it borders the Swiss cantons Thurgau, Schaffhausen, Zürich and Aargau.
|Table of contents|
4 Coat of arms
5 Towns and municipalities
6 External links
The district dates back to the Oberamt Waldshut, which was created when the area became part of the state of Baden in the beginning of the 19th century. After some changes it was converted to a district in 1938. In 1973 the districts Säckingen and Hochschwarzwald were dissolved and were partially added to the district Waldshut, which then grew to its current size.
The district covers the southern part of the Black Forest. The river Rhine forms most of the boundary to Switzerland.
|The white bended line in the coat of arms represents the river Rhine as the main river of the district. In the bottom-left, a wheel on blue ground symbolizes the hydro-electric power industry in the district; a wheel was already present in the old coat of arms of the district. The staff in the top-left part was taken from the coat of arms of the district Säckingen, symbolizing the monsteries in the district. The green color stands for the many forests in the southern Black Forest. The coat of arms was granted on December 11, 1973.|