Centuries: 12th century - 13th century - 14th century
Decades: 1240s 1250s 1260s 1270s 1280s - 1290s - 1300s 1310s 1320s 1330s 1340s
1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296
- May 10 - Scottish nobles recognize the authority of King Edward I of England.
- August 1 - The Swiss Confederation is formed by the cantons of Uri, Schwyz, Obwalden, Nidwalden, and Unterwalden (the Eternal Alliance).
- The Sultan of Egypt Khalil captures Acre, ending the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem.
- James II becomes King of Aragon.
- Frederick III becomes regent of Sicily.
- Sancho IV of Castile captures Tarifa from the Moors.
- The Hapsburgs acquire Lucerne.
- Wenceslaus II of Bohemia becomes duke of Krakow.
- Grudziadz, Poland is chartered as a city.
- Saarburg, Germany is chartered as a town.
- Bratislava is chartered as a town.
- Aimone of Savoy
- Charles I of Hungary (or possibly 1288)
- June 18 - Alfonso III of Aragon
- July 15 - Rudolph I of Germany
- Hong Dagu, Korean commander in the Yuan Dynasty
- Eleanor of Provence, consort of Henry III of England
- Saadi, Persian poet (or possibly 1283)